Tuesday, November 27, 2007

life: Lawyers and Contractors

As M1 is off to India at the end of the week we're finishing up our will and trust paperwork. Given the complexity it's a wonder people ever get this done. It's pretty daunting.

The hunt for contractors continues. spcox provides a reference for his pal Eric, M1 is going to talk to Erick dad of Adriaan, and I have to write a note to drop in Joe-The-Neighborhood-Fireman-and-part-time-Contractor's mailbox. I have to call the drainage contractors to see where their proposal has gone.

The flood lost-room is still rather lost. I was going to tear off all the sheetrock to see what is underneath (mud? mold? moles?) but my eagerness as waned. I blame the flu.

Half Sick

Still slogging through this flu.

Today we have a conference call with AppLabs. They are the firm we've identified to help us create 'real load' against our Sakai QA environment. We don't have the capability to flog the Sakai deployment with enough boxes, with enough boxes, to produce realistic levels.

The Cloaking Device is in suitable shape for this testing. I've written about it a bit at the Sakai Confluence wiki, and in the internal Stanford Academic Computing wiki (ConSUL), so I'll hold off on describing deeply here. Shortly it is a set of Groovy scripts which manage 'fake' users in our Sakai databases. The UserDirectoryProvider (UDP) I wrote for Stanford, SKrbLDAP, gets two new configuration properties which tell it to use fake First and Last names for fake Ids, yet to use the real Id to resolve LDAP bio / affiliation information. This latter is needed to drive our Sakai User Type settings.

The AppLab testing will use these alternate Ids; up to 1500 of them. While it is true you can often stress test a system with just a few Ids I wanted to stress test the UDP's Caching. That requires Real Ids. I also want to see where we get into the bounds of needed an LDAP connection pool to the Stanford OpenLDAP installation.

I call these modified users "cloaked users." Their FN/LN comes from CourseWork Classic's PERSON table, just all mangled up - random selections of names are persisted into the Cloaking Device. The fake names persist to allow QA to build up test cases for re-use and automation. The fake Ids are randomly generated in a format outside of the Stanford SUnetID namespace.

I've gotten permission to provide the cloaked-user filled CM database tables to the Sakai Project. They could be used as a basis for load-testing CM, or for default deployments from standard check-outs. I suspect that there will be wrinkles around our EID formats, but those can be resolved.

Monday, November 26, 2007

totally flu

Mass sleeping. Headache. drips. Time for some Travist.

As I hang out drinking orange juice I fired up MediaWiki @ badubadu.com, www.badubadu.com/wiki which will save some time. Updated the home page to list this blog and the wiki... that and sshfs from google and publishing is easy.

The "old systems" at hurricane electric are using older versions of PHP and MySQL, as you may expect. MediaWiki 1.6.10 did the trick. I patched the deployment with http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Page_access_restriction which, after some confusion on my part seems to be working well.

The SSL configuration on these older machines is a bit awkward; there is one SSL cert for the entire machine, and so you have to use a machine specific URL.

some email from the office, and then back to bed.

Saturday, November 24, 2007

gah, flu?

I have what has to be a cold or flu coming in. Child too.


In spite of it we got a trail walk and some hillside scrambling in! Some photowork
for holiday presents and M1's new blog.

Let more folks know I won't be at the next Sakai conference. For various reasons I haven't been in a few years; mostly centering around Stanford needing someone around who can fix things.

dribble dribble.

Friday, November 23, 2007

odd round trip

I've just started dorking around with forwarding from badubadu.com to blogger.

I blog all the time at Stanford, in the Academic Computing Confluence depoyment 'Consul.' - it's a great way to create an ongoing worklog easily linked back to the wiki documentation. That's great, but it's a walled garden. I've been describing the work in my personal area of the Sakai Confluence deployment, but that too is off-the-web. Feh!

So back to this blog.

When I use a machine not using our home connectivity provider (Sprint) I find that I can get to the blog hosted at blogspot. However from home I'm continually directed to the classic badubadu.com site.

When, from home, I ping, I get hurricane electric - where badubadu.com is hosted. when I dig from home I get google's blogspot servers.

weird. I would expect that once my home machines got the right path (via dig) all would be well.

more digging. I think.

Digging was pleasantly interrupted by a family bike ride in Pursima Creek OSP. Our first visit and a good time.